Thursday, October 30, 2014

Gospel Hip Hop = A Worthy Listen!

How Do Like Your Truth?

Yep - curious question for you:  How do you like your truth?  How do you fill yourself up with life-giving scripture?  Me- I need truth to bombard my brain and seep into my heart all throughout the day. week.  If I don't intentionally fill my mind with good stuff, sinful thoughts and wrong beliefs seek to fill the vacuum- they get sucked right in! And since you can't read my mind, those unwelcome visitors can become permanent residents of my heart. Soul germs that morph into major infection or disease if not dealt with.
 
Setting aside time to be with the Lord in prayer, reading the Bible, and journaling has been a life-giving practice for me.  I need time and space daily for the Holy Spirit to peel away layers of unbelief, point out sin, encourage a weary heart, lead me to wisdom.  Yet - my heart is so fickle. I can easily become the pathetic man described in the book of James, looking at himself in the mirror only to walk away, forgetting what he just saw!  

So, a spiritual discipline for me is finding great music with needed truth.  I'm not being facetious here, people!  In the down-time of my mind, I want my thoughts to be honoring to the Lord, and this is a spiritual battle.  A favorite weapon is music.  I am grateful to have had a mom who indulged my love of music with a big ol' "Ghetto Blaster" (That's what we called it in the 80s in Toledo, OH!!!).  I cranked my parents' Sandy Patti, my brother's Petra,  and my Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman when they were still rockin' their mullets.  

Many moons later; I am no different.  I still need to crank it up and let truth sink into my soul.  If you do, too, I hope this song will encourage you, get a needed truth absorbed in a new way.  And maybe, just maybe, you'll divulge your secret love of gospel hip hop, too!  Check out more of Shai Linne -or LeCrae's Anomaly, or Attributes of God by Sovereign Grace Kids, linked below!



No comments:

Post a Comment