Thursday, November 5, 2015

Feed My Lambs (not "Baaaaa humbug!")

How serving others nourishes you, too

I like to think and can be guilty of over-thinking.  Awhile back, I was not thinking about feeding lambs, but the Holy Spirit led me to someone who had:  Charles Spurgeon.  Think with me!

To give some context, pretend being a beachcomber (humor me!):  Peter and Co. had just finished night-fishing with fishermen’s worst fear - empty nets.  But the Resurrected Jesus is on the shore and directs the men to the other side of the boat, and alas the nets were drug in bursting with the catch of the day!  “‘Come and have breakfast!’  ...Jesus...took the bread and gave it to them, and so with the fish” (John 21:13).  (Reminds you of another meal they had recently partaken of together, yes?)  Following this soul-satisfying fish-fry, Jesus has poignant words with Peter, the recent three-time deny-er.

“Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs” (John 21:15, ESV).

You know this account!  The Lord probes three times.  What I did not know is scholars’ teach that the first command to “feed my lambs” refers to teaching those young in the faith, both children and “baby” Christians.  Spurgeon emphasizes the teaching of children in the church.  

Do you know what catches my attention and fills my net?  Spurgeon maintains that [teaching and training children is a] most beneficial work to ourselves.  It exercises our humility and helps to keep us lowly and meek.  It also trains our patience; let those who doubt this try it.  Let me name some who experience this:  Mike and Doris Alderink in Preschool Community; Nene Akinbola and Randa Nader in Children’s Worship; Patti Fraley in Kids’ Community.  If you want big-souled, large-hearted men or women, look for them among those who are much engaged among the young, bearing with their follies, and sympathising with their weaknesses for Jesus' sake.

Be encouraged!  Jesus’ encounter with and command to Peter is for us all:  The fisher of men comes to find us; he beckons us to come to Him.  He himself nourishes us for the purpose of nourishing others!  What a Good Shepherd!

Listening for his voice together,
Sara Nist

All words in italics are direct quotes from Spurgeon, Come Ye Children.
To read the chapter, Feed My Lambs, copy and paste this link:  www.spurgeon.org/misc/cyc.htm

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2009/4/14/1239723754243/Four-lambs-in-a-field-001.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment