Friday, September 19, 2014

Prayer and Praise

The Power and Sweetness of God's Presence



Friends,
God longs for his people to draw near in prayer, yet so many obstacles seem to stand in our way, right?  Crazy-busy schedules, looming deadlines, doubt-filled hesitations. Can I recount how I experienced Prayer and Praise last Thursday?  


Call it, "Sorry Start with a Sweet Ending!"

The week began Sunday night with me pouring over my calendar, fear gripping my gut. Each day was filled to overflowing; my husband out of town; commitments to be honored that I hadn't wanted to make in the first place!  Ugh.  My kids and I (and our blasted dogs) make it through each day- some blessings, some bumps.  Growing increasingly tired, though (and actually crashing on my bed in the middle of a few afternoons!).

Thursday arrives, full but good.  I know Prayer and Praise is part of the evening's plan, yet I start feeling the familiar tug-of-war in my mind:  

"I do want to go.  I am going to go."  
"I don't think we're going to go.  Not tonight."
"I should go.  I should take the kids."
"Actually, is it more God-honoring to stay home?  We're tired. I'm grumpy."
"Wow- I am very aware of my sin today.  I better not go; I'd be a hindrance to the group."
...
"Mom, we're going to Prayer tonight, right?"
"Yeah, Mom, I want to go try it!"
...
"We're going."

As we are driving along, the Holy Spirit gently, distinctly calls me back to truth.  I don't go to prayer all spiritually cleaned-up.  I go to prayer and am reminded that Jesus has made me clean.  I don't go to prayer to do God a favor.  I go to prayer and am reminded that God has favor for me through the immense grace shown at the Cross.  I don't go to prayer to be a fantastic intercessor for big needs.  I go to prayer and am reminded that Jesus Christ lives to always intercede on my behalf.  WOW.

We pull in the parking lot, and I am still somewhat hesitant.  Slowly but surely, a band of brothers and sisters, sons and daughters collect to sing praises, read scripture selections, and pray.  We are invited to praise God with short phrases: "God I praise you for ___________."  I don't pray out loud, yet I agree silently with the adoration lifted up around me. Prayers are punctuated with the occasional squeaks of toddlers and whispers of young children.  We sing some more.  My tired heart begins to be again drawn near to my Savior.  I am so glad we came.  

We end with ten - fifteen minutes of walking around the building, praying in small groups for those that will fill these rooms this weekend and beyond.  My sorry start had such a sweet ending!  I got to stay in the Children's Worship room, praying in unity; thanking God for our people (old, young, and in-between!); asking Him for big things.  Literally praying with three precious little girls, a handful of teenage boys, and  gracious adults.... in their midst, I was blessed to experience the power and and sweetness of God's Presence.  

I hope this for you, too.  







It's not perfection we seek or bring in prayer, but God's power, provision, and presence.



No comments:

Post a Comment