Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas Prep :: "C'mon In!"

Into our hearts and homes,
Come Lord Jesus

“C’mon in!”  I love those friendly, beckoning words.  I had the sweetness of growing up just blocks from my maternal grandparents, and an open invitation to come.  I loved going to Papa’s and Grandma’s house!  When I would call ahead, they would be waiting at the door with warm hugs and smiles.  “C’mon in!  Are you hungry or thirsty?  Do you want some pop?  There’s candy in the dish!”  My grandparents were always ready and eager to welcome me (and my brother, cousins, and even friends).  They were always stocked up on that which drew us the most:  sweet treats, time, and attention.  In a word, it was love beckoning us to come.

We are in the season of Advent.  Advent is to Christmas what Lent is to Easter.  One aspect I love about this season is that it is a set period of time with clearly defined borders!  There is an intensity to the Christmas season that could not be sustained year-round.  And so it presents a distinct opportunity for the believer or seeker.  For 25 or so days, we get to re-order our calendars, our homes, our hearts as we prepare for  Christmas.  Observing Advent with is an intentional way that we remind ourselves for what - or for whom - we prepare.

This Advent, I want to welcome Jesus into my days in the way that my grandparents welcomed me.  Is my heart eager?  Have I made room?   I am not Super-Christian; I need practical helps and resources.  Our favorite is the Advent wreath that makes the centerpiece of our kitchen table.  When our children were little, we lit the candles each night, dimmed the lights and enjoyed the elegant feel!  (Yes, even with toddlers!)  Then, we sang a Christmas carol to end our meal.  At some point, pre-teens deemed the singing awkward.  In came a family Advent devotional that we read during dinner.  (http://theccckids.blogspot.com/2015/12/advent-devotional-ideas-for-individuals.html has Advent devotional book ideas.)  The visual of the candles, the focus on Christ in the reading or singing - wow!  Powerful and effective heart recalibration all throughout December.  

God came near in the person of Christ.  Let it be said that we are people with ears to hear God beckoning us, “Come!”   

“Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart….”  (Hebrews 10:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment