Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Gift of Magnifying Glasses & God's Kindness

I was given a good gift this morning:  I had just enough alertness, just enough desire to ask God to help me see something from his Word. I have been lacking faith and giving in to fear. In fact, this seems to be a theme in my family - work fears, school fears, friend fears, future fears. We're dealing with some stuff!  So, the Captain Obvious in me sensed it was time to be open to the Lord.  A stellar cup of coffee (with real cream!), my Bible, journal, favorite pen,  mediocre pencil, and I was ready.

I pushed Advent devotionals aside and opened the Bible to Luke 1.  If you are curious about what happens when the Godhead, angelic and human beings converge, look no further than Luke 1.  If you, too, are struggling with fears, you will find encouragement here.  Instruction for next steps is here, too.  Two angelic visitations are must-reads this season:  Gabriel appears to Zechariah to prophesy the birth of John the Baptist, and then to Mary the birth of Jesus.  It's what the angel says and how the people respond (and why) that gives me pause.

First:  "Do not be afraid,"  Gabriel tells Zechariah and Mary (ESV).  As he gives them a command, he also calls them by name. This must have brought comfort- the God who sent him knows their name.  Further, as Gabriel commands them not to fear (when fear is the very natural human response), it is like he is pointing out a fork in the road and the choice inherent. Stay in fear and disbelief, or move on in faith which leads to transformation.  One road is less traveled by.  Often, when I am stuck in  fear-mode, I am unaware of it.  Angelic encounters are not my norm, so my Wonderful Counselor, the Holy Spirit, must point it out. This is one of his functions for believers: "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth," (John 16:13). This is the tone it seems Gabriel uses for Zechariah and Mary.  They are frightened and need to be reassured of truth:  God knows them; they do not have to know fear. 

Second, these visited people do not merely listen to Gabriel; they ask questions!  God communicates with his people, and these encounters in Scripture are one way we see the relational nature of God.  Zechariah and Mary both have questions, and Gabriel answers.  Zechariah seems to push back in his questioning.  (I like Gabriel's over-riding response to this priest:  "I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you...!" Luke 1:19.)  Mary's question seems to be a request for details: "How can this be...?"  Zechariah is silenced.  Mary is given opportunity to respond in faith!

These holy encounters bring encouragement to me and they also give next steps!  Mary's faith has surpassed her fear.  How? She states what is true - "I am the Lord's servant."  She submits herself to God's will - "Let it be to me according to your word," (Luke 1:38). Then she takes it one crucial step further.

Mary hurries off to visit Elizabeth- her cousin and Zechariah's wife. The Holy Spirit has come upon them both, and they burst into praise of the Most High.  Mary's song is staggering.  She begins, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."  Consider that first phrase.  We exist to magnify or make much of something or someone.  Furthermore, what we make much of looms larger in our minds; our minds are key to our transformation ("Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind," Romans 12:2).  Profoundly, Mary declares that her soul makes much of God!  She is living with a magnifying glass over God's goodness.  Truth transforms our minds; praise has shaped Mary's soul! 

Zechariah turns to praise, with time.  Outward praise was not possible for him as a first faith-response, though, as the angel silenced him for unbelief.  A few verses prior, we are told that Zechariah and Elizabeth "were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord" (v. 6).  This is not an ungodly man, but rather a God-fearing man who had forgotten to look to truth and perhaps looked to human reasoning.  And so he waits nine months in silence.  When the silence is lifted, much like Mary and Elizabeth, he was filled with the Holy Spirit  and "he spoke, blessing God" and he prophesied powerfully.

I am more like Zechariah than Mary.  I can quickly turn to magnifying human reason; I can push back with demands in questioning God's plan.  I can experience the consequences, too, because these actions equate to a prideful heart, not a humble one. 

Oh, to be like Mary - that our souls magnify the Lord! Resting in the knowledge that God knows us and goes before us with his good purposes.  Renewing our minds with truth and so be transformed.  Like Mary - whose magnifying glass on God's goodness resulted in a megaphone of praise.  

The good gift I received today?  The kindness of God leading me to repentance, which resulted in my heart praising Him (Romans 2:4).  He was so kind to answer my prayer to meet me.  He uncovered my fear, so that I could confess it.  God met me in my fear to move me to faith.  Finding my voice in Mary's: "My soul magnifies the Lord.  My spirit rejoices in God my Savior."


asasds

No comments:

Post a Comment